What goes better with biscuits than sausage gravy? Again, this is one of those staples that one would think they have to give up just to go Paleo. That is not true, however, using coconut products as a substitute! I found this recipe on PaleOMG and it actually turned out quite well!
Be sure to check out the biscuit recipe that pairs wonderfully with this!
- 1 (14 ounce) can of coconut milk
- 1 lbs Pork Breakfast Sausage
- 4 tsp Coconut Flour (or arrowroot powder)
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried sage
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook and crumble sausage in skillet until no pink is left
- Once meat is cooked through, remove with slotted spoon and place in a bowl
- Leave the rendered fat in the pan and add coconut flour to the hot pan, one teaspoon at a time, whisking continuously
- Once mixture thickens, add coconut milk to the pan, whisk, then add the parsley, garlic powder, sage, smoked paprika and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- When the flavors meld, add breakfast sausage back in. Taste and salt and pepper as needed.
I have yet to get this mixture to thicken very well but, with a pound of sausage in the mix, it forms a fairly decent mixture.
Makes approximately 3-6 servings.
This recipe originated from paleomg.com and can be found here.